Saturday, 3 March 2012

Day 1: What’s Your Witchy Background?

Hmm, what is my background? For the in depth and lengthy explanation you could look under ‘Who is the Country Witch?’ but I suppose, like most girls, my firm interest in witchcraft happened when I watched “The Craft” for the first time. It caught my attention and something resonated with me. I felt a sense of coming home as it were.

I also know that growing up and reading fairytales I never identified with the heroine – they always seemed just a little too vapid for my liking. I always felt sorry for the Witch (who was almost always wicked or evil) thinking she got a bad rap. The witches in fairytales were also far more interesting to my mind. I also loved magic inspired books, like Enid Blyton’s Magic Faraway Tree series. I started reading at a very young age.
I loved watching The Princess Bride, The Little Mermaid and of course, Hocus Pocus. I fell in love with that movie the first time I saw it (Winnie is the quintessential witch – there is none better). I also used to play with the Fairies in the garden according to my Mum.

My parents bought me my first spell book after I saw The Craft at age 13. Luckily I had parents who were not the ‘freak out’ kind. I was basically raised atheist and had a mother who thought any religious or spiritual choice should be my own when I came of an age to understand what it all meant. They were supportive of my interest and I never had to worry that my parents would think I was loony. The spell book was ‘Nice Girls Book of Naughty Spells’ by Deborah Gray. I still have it to this day.

I came and went from witchcraft over the course of my teen years and eventually, when I was in my early twenties came back to it. Coming across a school called The Firefly Academy was once of the starting points to my proper dedication to the Craft and during Mabon 2010 I was initiated into the Outer Circle of the Council of Elders at Firefly making me a Priestess. I am now just finishing up my Clergy Track which will make me a member of the Inner Circle.

So that would be the abbreviated (yet still lengthy) explanation of my witchy background. I think it is not the whole of it but the simplest way of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment