Monday, 5 March 2012

Day 3: Witchy tools: Athame


The photo is of my athame, it was a gift from my parents. It was all hand etched (the symbols) and the handle was wrapped in brown leather. It has black and tan feathers dangling from the handle as well as a nice gemstone chip attachment as well. The photo doesn’t do it justice as it is really stunning to look at in person.

The Athame

The athame is a magick knife. It is not used for cutting, but to direct energy raised during rites and spells. It is usually a dull, double-edged knife with a black or dark colored handle. Black absorbs power. Athames are sometimes engraved with magickal symbols, but this is up to you. The knife absorbs power from you and the area around you. A sword is sometimes used, as it has all the qualities of a knife. Because of  its size, it is cumbersome to use indoors. Stories about magickal swords are common in mythic literature. The symbolism of the knife is change. It is linked with the Element of Fire. Its straight phallic shape links it with the God.

The following ritual has a definite Wiccan flavour so it is not necessarily one I would use but it does offer a basic outline for creating and performing your own tool consecration ritual. If you are uncomfortable with Deity or do not work with Deity it is easy enough to drop the ‘Lord and Lady’ and ‘God and Goddess’.

Tool Consecration Ritual

Supplies in addition to circle casting supplies:
Any tool you wish to consecrate
White candle for consecration flame


Cast your circle or lay your compass:
To consecrate the tools, the elementals may be used.


Pick up the athame, saying:
"I have chosen this athame to assist me in my work."

Visualize the athame being cleared of any negativity, especially if it has had a previous owner. Continue till the athame feels clear to you. Now visualize positive energy flowing from you, down you arm and into the athame. Visualize a strong white light flowing through your body to the tool. Feel it absorb the positive energies. Touch it to the pentacle, saying:


"In the names of the Goddess and God (use any names you wish), I bless and make sacred this athame, tool of my craft. I charge this athame by the element of Earth."

Point the athame towards the North, saying:

"May the powers of the Earth cleanse and fill the athame I have chosen."

Pass the athame through the smoke of the incense, saying:

"In the names of the Goddess and God (use any names you wish), I bless and make sacred this athame, tool of my craft. I charge this athame by the element Air."

Point the athame to the East, saying:

"May the powers of the Air cleanse and fill the athame I have chosen."

Pass the athame through the candle flame, saying:

"In the names of the Goddess and God (using any names), I bless and make sacred this athame, tool of my craft. I charge this athame by the element Fire."

Point the wand to the South, saying:

"May the powers of Fire cleanse and fill the athame I have chosen."

Sprinkle the wand with water, saying:

"In the names of the Goddess and God (using any names), I bless and make sacred this athame, tool of my craft. I charge this athame by the element Water."

Point the wand to the West, saying:

"May the powers of water cleanse and fill the athame I have chosen."

"This tool is now ready, being consecrated and charged to assist me in my work. So mote it Be"

Perform other workings if you wish, then close the circle.

To consecrate, cleanse and charge other tools, substitute the word athame with the name of the chosen tool.


From: http://www.ladyoftheearth.com/tools/cons-tools.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment