Saturday, 26 May 2012

Pagan Meme #1

From Walking the Hedge

Please describe briefly your Path: Hmm, wild witch, herbalist, diviner so I would say the green/hedge path with my own twist.

Please describe briefly how you practice it: Herbal work, divination, working with nature.

When did you first commit to your Path? A few years ago completely committed I would say.

How is your practice different now than it was then? It has gone from Wicca to Trad witchcraft.

Is your practice different today than how you thought it would be back then? Very much so, I thought I would be Wiccan and found out it wasn’t my cup of tea.

Does your Path and core belief system differ now than how it was when you first started? Very much.

What is your heritage and how does this inform your Path? My heritage is mostly British and Irish but there is some European thrown in as well.

What are your main influences for your Path? Herbalism, mythology and divination.

Which do you do more: practice or research? Research.

Do you feel that one is more important than the other? Both are as important as the other, practice makes the witch but knowing what you’re doing helps.

What values and ethics are important on your Path and in your practice? I had this question the other day and I would say that I don’t interfere with the free will of others however I will do what is necessary to protect me and mine. I generally go with what feels right to me.

What sort of cycles do you feel your practice goes through? It goes through the up and down cycles, sometimes I’m hugely committed and do a lot, other times I don’t do much at all.

What is one of the greatest obstacles or struggles you have had to over come? Trusting myself and my instincts.

How do you see yourself practicing in ten years? Hopefully a more developed version of my practice now.

How do you incorporate your practice into your life? I work with herbs regularly, I do read a lot and I try to do at least one magical thing a day.

Has walking your Path changed you as a person? Hmm, it has made me more reflective, more aware.

Do you consider yourself to be a priest/ess? How so? Yes, I am an initiated priestess in the Firefly tradition.

A witch? How so? Very much so, I work with the energies and flow of nature and the otherside.

A shaman? How so? No, but it does interest me.

Which matters more: getting the vocabulary right or the actual practice of what we are trying to define? Actual practice but vocab helps.

One of the most profound things anyone ever said to you was: The more you learn the less you know.

A defining moment on your Path was: Finding the path that was right for me.

Have you ever taken a “leap of faith”? Eh, no. I am trying to work on the faith thing.

Please tell us something stupid, reckless or embarrassing you did once in your practice: I can’t say I have but that is more due to lack of practice more than anything.

What is the most frustrating thing about your Path? Being solitary can sometimes be frustrating, hard to find others of like mind where I live.

Have you ever been frightened? Once or twice but that is a long story.

Can you perform ritual without a script? When needs must yes, but I’m not one for being overly ritual in my practice.

Have you ever preformed spontaneous magick/spellcraft? Yes.

What are you still exploring or experimenting with? Hedgecrossing/Otherworld/Fae.

What (or whom) are you the most committed to in your practice and on your Path? My herbal works.

Ritual tools are …nice but not always necessary.

Magickal tools are …see above.

The one thing you can’t do without is: My herbs and my books. And my cats!

Seeking personal power is …a life long journey that should be tempered with reason and compassion.

Politics and your Path are … completely separate.

One thing you wish people would understand about your Path and/or practice is: I am not a ‘white’ witch or wiccan.

Do you teach? Yes.

What do you feel is the role of clergy in modern Paganism and Heathenism? To guide, to teach, to help when needed.

When the Veil (or Hedge!) is thin, how does that feel to you? Butterflies in the stomach.

What entities do you work with most? (ancestors, gods, fae etc) None yet, another research topic.

What is your relationship with the Land? It’s good, I’m a mad gardener.

The most important aspect of ritual is: To be in the ritual and experience it.

The main purpose of ritual is: Ecstatic connection with self, experiential workings

What is the purpose of divination/dowsing (or whichever for of augury you use)? To see possible outcomes of the future, to work with spirit, to know yourself and to explore the world beyond the seen.

What was the most difficult book you ever read? (Either difficult to understand or hard to face what it said or both): Drawing Down the Moon – mostly it was difficult to get through because it wasn’t my cup of tea – never actually finished it.

What book do you recommend the most to others? It depends on the path the person is exploring, I wouldn't recommend Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner to a Trad Witch  but I would say that Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft is a good place to start when learning, also The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Witchcraft and Wicca is a great read for a beginner.

What is you favourite podcast (if any) and favourite blog (other than your own)? My favourite blogs are Witch of Forest Grove and Ivy on the Path.

If you could impart only one last piece of wisdom or knowledge, or share one experience with the world at large, what would it be? That to be yourself is the most important thing because if you approach your Craft as some one you are not, you will never get anywhere.

Is there an additional question you would like to see here? What is it? (please also answer) No, I think this is pretty good as is.

Please finish this meme with a picture, image or photograph of some sort

Rosemary from the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment