Monday, 1 October 2012

Day 32: A Pagan/Witchy Artwork

I’ve chosen two images for this day because each one speaks to me in a powerful way. I could have chosen Anne Stokes or Victoria Frances art, I adore both of their work and even have an Anne Stokes bedspread, china mug and wall hanging (yes I’m a bit of a fan) but I felt like, as much as I love these artists, I love their work for the enjoyment I get looking at it. For this particular day I felt I needed to go a little deeper.

Menstrual Night by Emily Balivet

The first picture is called “Menstrual Night” and it is by Emily Balivet. It is a stunning, visceral piece of art and I relate to it. The menstrual cycle has always been a severe problem for me, I suffer from a condition that makes it much worse, painfully so. Looking at this image I can feel the primal power of being a woman and knowing that it is a part of who I am, it is not something to shunt away and be ignored, nor is it something to be ashamed of. It tires me, it pains me, it aggravates me and oftimes makes me an utter bitch to be around but at the same time, it is something that speaks to the power of being female. (Funny thing is though, as much as this is something I’ve been learning to embrace a little more, I still do not want kids).


Hedge Witch by SkyClad Witch

The second image is called “Hedge Witch” by Skyclad Witch. I think it is a phenomenally interesting piece of art because I feel it represents the Hedge. Hedge Witchcraft is something I am exploring and trying out, so I look at this picture as almost a guide, a knowing of what lies beyond. It is a place I want to get to, but for now, I just love this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment