Thursday, 13 November 2014

Tiny House Revolution

Okay, so I didn't write the next day but I thought about - points for that right? But I'm back! And that is the totality of my enthusiasm for this migraine causing hot weather we're experiencing right now. It's supposed to cool down again by the weekend - hope it rains.

Anyhoo, in a prior post I mentioned my intention for a tiny house herbal studio as my place of work and the place where my dreams of being a traditional style wisewoman would have a chance to grow. I love the idea of it, and I think it will work brilliantly for what I want. But I'm not the only one who loves the idea, it's becoming a bit of a revolution. The idea formulated in my head when I watched 'George Clarke's Amazing Spaces', there were people all over England using small spaces for living, for business purposes and all sorts. A woman on there decided to turn a horsebox into a vintage clothing shop that she could take around different fairs, festivals etc. It even had a little living space in it. It got me to thinking. It wasn't until I actually saw a the tiny house online (mentioned in my prior post) that the idea struck me. It would be the perfect thing to have to create my own working space. A space that could eventually become my shop, my workroom and my consulting room.

I can't wait to get started on mine, it's going to be an exciting project. It also made me wonder if it would be possible to create my own home. I have a block of land, it has no power or water but if I could make an entirely sustainable tiny house to live in, it would be amazing. It would be a long term project but I think it could definitely work. I've even found my dream one (here), it's a good size but I think I would definitely have to price it down to work in my buget - probably a hell of a lot less wood, I mean I like wood as a design accent but not as much as is in the tiny-ish house.

I adore this one, it really is the quintessential witch's cottage.


But for practical reasons, I think I would be better off having one on wheels, so that should I ever need to move, I can take my tiny house with me. Probably something like this or this or this. It's a dream I have, I don't think I'll ever have kids, I've never had the desire to, but should I meet my soulmate and we decide to procreate, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to put together another tiny house. One for the living, one for the sleeping or you could build another one on a big semi trailer truck (yep I'm full of ideas).

I actually like the idea of living small like this because it negates the need for clutter. You would really only have around you that which is most important to you (in my case, epic amount of books). It's a very simple way of living, one I think I could easily adapt to. But first, I shall see how I go with my herbal studio, I'm very excited for it. It's going to be an adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. I am obsessed with the tiny house movement. I'm trying to buy property right now, on which a small shed was repurposed into a dwelling. They are just so cozy, plus for someone short like me, it feels like something was finally made FOR ME. Don't have to climb chairs to reach things in the kitchen cabinets. No jumping to reach the light pull...ahhh. I can't wait to see how yours progresses! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete