The Heart of Faerie Oracle

by Brian and Wendy Froud


Ooohh I love this deck, colour me in love. This is another fabulous artistic offering from the Frouds and I will say, I kinda like this one more than the first. It appeals more to my wild fae side I think.  Although, it is not more welcome or less welcome than Faeries Oracle into my every growing oracle card collection as I see them as sisters. They are different yet so completely related; when I begin to work with them I will better understand their relationship to each other and hopefully begin building one with me.

 

Like it’s predecessor it has a stunning hardcover book, it also has 68 wonderful cards – 3 of which are not labeled and have no written meaning – this is left to the diviner to discover. It has a gold border and the writing on the cards, thankfully, is easier to read than the first deck. The book is 138 pages long; it has suggested spreads and even an interview with Brian and Wendy Froud.


It is so easy to get lost in the cards, to sit there and just stare at one for some time because the detail grabs you, there is so much to see and know within these cards. You can never see it all at once and I know that a card will never have the same meaning twice because you will never see exactly the same thing twice.

I think I am going to be able to build a tight working relationship with these cards. Lately I have been feeling a pull toward the Realm of Fae (more on that later) so I feel like these cards will help me get there.


My favourite card so far in this deck is the Queen of Hearth and Home. There is something really earthy and understated about her but at the same time she is definitely powerful, beautiful and ancient.


But I also really love the Queen of Passage. This card is beautiful and it is dark but it also speaks to me of taking the journey, of walking paths unknown and finding your ‘rite of passage’ or passage to another world.


The Crone speaks to me on a visceral level, not sure why but it is something that I know I will discover sooner or later.

Overall, like the first offering, this deck is fabulous and I think it is going to be an interesting ride! I can’t wait to see where it goes.

Comments