Signs of Spring

Spring is beginning to unveil herself, yet still at night Winter lays her frosty coat on the ground. It is rather interesting weather we're experiencing right now. I look forward to early spring when the gardens start to flourish. I look forward to being able to spend time with my hands in the soil, strengthening my connection to land and plant.


Although I generally don't celebrate Imbolc, I took the time this year to honour it in a way that sat right with me. I did this by planting lots of seeds. I think I probably went slightly mad but that's half the fun. There is Clary Sage, Angelica, Rue, Chamomile, Chickweed, Tea Tree, Yarrow, Red Clover, Meadowsweet, Pennyroyal, Heartease, Datura and more. They sit in a sunny position, the alfalfa and cress already greeting the day, a small nub of green in the Cayenne section will soon be a lovely little seedling.


The Sarsaparilla is climbing all over the place, looking lovely, hiding in amongst the Banksia Rose.


Yellow always brightens the day when winter is grey and unwelcoming.


A young Crow often sits in our trees, the immature caw an interesting sound. We've been getting a lot of Crows this year, more so than usual which is nice as I adore these birds!


And my Mandrakes, autumnalis and turcomanica are growing. I am hoping that this time I have a successful plant come to maturity. We have a complicated relationship, Mandrake & I, so this time I would love to have a fully grown, fruiting plant!


So the garden is beginning to turn, soon I will plant out apple, peach, chestnut, elm and ash. I will work over the gardens, adding nutrients of compost, manure and soil. I will embrace the garden and feed her, watching her flourish and praying that come summer, she is able to thrive and survive despite the temperatures we get.

Comments

  1. Are you sure thats not a Raven?? Crows are seldom alone.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what is happening on the other side of the world...thanks for sharing♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is lovely! One can never plant too many seeds my dear, and I'm crossing my fingers for your mandrake. The bird is lovelly. They do make the most interesting noises don't they? We have mockingbirds who like to come close and listen to the radio. Their bird song is starting to sound especially melodious. Blessings to you and your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment